We've provided some additional resources to help you navigate the name change process. For a list of frequently asked questions about changing your name of use, gender identity or pronouns, visit our FAQ page.

VCU courses

VCU offers several courses that are specifically relevant to the Call Me By My Name initiative. 

For faculty and staff

For students

Changing your legal name

To begin the legal name change process, you will first need to obtain a court order granting your name change. Virginia residents should apply for a name change through the circuit court in their county or city of residence. Non-Virginia residents should look up applicable laws in their home state.

Once your name change has been granted, you can use the court order to update your Social Security number card and your driver's license or photo ID card (process varies by state). Visit the Virginia DMV website for information on how to obtain a new Virginia driver's license or photo ID card. 

To inform VCU of your legal name change:

Don't forget to update other important documents and accounts, such as your:

  • Passport
  • Voter registration 
  • Banking and other financial accounts
  • Insurance